Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Remodeling to Pass the Time






While we were waiting for Ephraim to join our family, I had to do something to take my mind off the wait, so I began redecorating our house. We built the house ourselves over 12 years ago, and we were so tired by the time we finished the work that we simply painted the entire house off white and hadn't ever gone back to redecorate. After 12 years of no color, I decided to go bold! I worked on the library first because I was tired of not being able to lay my hands on a book when I needed it. I started out by putting all the books in proper Dewey Decimal order, which led to painting, which led to a new sofa, which led to a better overhead light, which led to ... You know what happens "When You Give A Mouse A Cookie". I found the sofa on craigslist and the knick knacks on sale at TJ Maxx, Pier One, Hobby Lobby and thrift stores. Many of them though we've had for years and years. The library table came from Salvation Army and the coffee table came from freecycle. The drapes were 70% off from JCPenny.com. We've had the lounge chair more than ten years now. I think the most expensive thing in the room was the paint! Of course I've had the books for years, and it's obvious I'm a fanatic for books. Most of them came from library sales, thrift stores, the Goodwill Outlet Center, yard sales and freecycle. Many of the home school books I needed in order to complete a particular curriculum, so they came from ebay or sellers on Amazon. I think it all turned out pretty good for very little money!

No comments:

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Referral Picture

Referral Picture

Adoption Timeline

  • 2006
  • November 8 - Application Mailed
  • November 22 - Accepted
  • November 24 - I-600A Mailed
  • November 27 - Delivery Confirmed
  • November 28 - Receipt of I-600A
  • November 30 - Fingerprint Notice
  • December 15 - Home Study Update
  • December 21 - Stacey Fingerprinted
  • December 28 - Added to List (#116)
  • 2007
  • January 24 - Home Study Mailed
  • January 25 - Ben Fingerprinted
  • February 8 - Waiting List (#111)
  • February 20 - Waiting List (#109)
  • February 27 - Waiting List (#105)
  • March 8 - Waiting List (#101)
  • March 22 - Waiting List (#99)
  • April 19 - Waiting List (#98)
  • April 25 - Dossier Authentication
  • May 2 - Delivery Confirmed
  • May 2 - Added to SN Wait List
  • May 3 - Waiting List (#97)
  • June 7 - Waiting List (#86)
  • June 25 - Dossier Translated
  • June 28 - On Waiting List Six months
  • July 9 - Waiting List (#81)
  • August 6 - Waiting List (#4 SN)
  • August 8 - Waiting List (#76)
  • September 7 - Waiting List (#70)
  • October 8 - Waiting List (#67)
  • October 22 - Waiting child -- OURS!!
  • October 23 - Official Referral Date
  • October 25 - Letter #1 Submitted
  • October 29 - Referral Receipt - CHI
  • 2008
  • February 5 - Fingerprint Request
  • February 7 - Proof of Delivery
  • March 1 - All Fingerprinted
  • March 3 - I-600 Application Mailed
  • March 5 - I-600 Acknowledgement
  • April 17 - I-600 Approval!
  • May 2 - Original G & R Date
  • May 3 - Fly to Ho Chi Minh City
  • May 5 - MEET EPHRAIM!
  • May 6 - Drive to Kien Giang
  • May 7 - G & R Ceremony
  • May 8 - Medical, Apply for Passport
  • May 12 - Fly to Hanoi
  • May 13 - Visa appointment at USCIS
  • May 14 - Pick Up Visa, Fly Home
  • May 15 - Arrive in Nashville!
  • May 23 - Certificate of Citizenship
  • June 12 - Re-Adoption Filed by Court
  • July 3 - Tennessee Birth Certificate

G & R Day

G & R Day